Thursday, September 24, 2009

4 down 4 to go

did my second presentation for Toastmasters. A "Be In Earnest" speech.
Objective of this speech is to talk about something that you are really very comfortable about in order to show your sincerity, earnestness and your ability to speak with lesser reference to the notes.
I think I did pretty well on that. Just on 2 notes, I went over time and I said "SHIT" which is a no no in this professional presentation environment. I think I kinda got too comfortable and to a certain extent over confident of what I'm presenting. For the first time, there was no nervousness after I got through my 3rd sentence which completed one of the aims of the speech, that is to transfer your nervousness to a positive energy for a topic that you totally have convictions about.
I spoke what a 'F' country Singapore is. Everybody got stunned by the topic when it was introduced which is the reaction that I wanted. 'F' has a big significance for Singapore
F = First. A380 (Flying). Flyer. Floating Platform. Night SaFari, Formula 1.
F = Fine, Fines
F = Food.
Thanks to Denise for creating my powerpoint presentation with Fantastic Fotos and great colour combination. I was being evaluated and the first comment was the on my visual aids. From the slides, the audience were able to know that a lot of effort was put into the presentation and that I valued the speech. Good pictures with clear resolution. Thanks DENISE once again for her creativity and hard work
I think I've learn 2 things about presentation here
1. Practice, Practice and Practice
2. Know your audience. Once you know them, you wont feel that they are against you, which makes you calm down more.
Did not fare too well at table topics. Will be a table topics master next week where I'll be speaking for 10 minutes. OoooOOooo..
i have to keep in mind that = I'm still not there yet with presenting and dont be over-confident

Labels: